Party like a princess...

So times are a changing here in the King household. Almost 2 teens live here, and soon to be a bunch of pre-teens to follow. :) Trying to...

Saturday, January 10, 2009

Baby goats...again.

So Kaycee came running upstairs this morning, and calmly told Kaden and I that "daddy brought a little baby goat in the house." I said, " I don't think so Kaycee...not in the house." She said, "No, for real, it's down in the kitchen". Those of you who know me well, know that I do not tolerate any animals in my house...especially the kitchen...and sure enough, we ran downstairs to find this cute little goat sitting by the fire, in his cozy box. :)
A lot of our goats are pregnant right now, and yeah, like women, ya never really know when they will deliver. Last week, Trigger, Matt's favorite goat delivered triplets overnight, and they had all died by the time morning rolled around. Dercy, this mommy goat, delivered our first baby goat, Alvin, about a year ago, and now she had twins early this morning.


The first twin is a bit bigger, and more healthy looking...Matt didn't think this one looked so well, so he brought it in for a little "fireside feeding" and a little extra TLC...which she got. :) My husband doesn't really realize just how far I have come...bottle feeding a goat...let alone in my kitchen!

Matt had milked the mommy, so we got her to drink out of the bottle for a couple hours, on and off. By lunchtime, she was trying to walk around my kitchen floor, so I decided she needed to be returned to the toasty barn, with her mommy and twin sister. :)

Kaycee is like her mommy, not so fond of animals, so much!

Kaden does just great. We decided to name this little pumpkin "Cricket", and her twin sister, is "Firefly". Mommy is Dercy. Great names, don't you think Scott and Ang?

Here's a couple snapshots of Cricket re-joining her mommy and twin sister. We are really hoping that she drinks from Dercy overnight, and we'll check on things in the morning. Keeping our fingers crossed. I have such high hopes because she really did drink from the bottle well first thing...we had trouble with our last baby goat wanting to drink from the bottle at first.


Cheers!



No comments: